Health experts urge patience, vigilance in face of ‘omicron’ variant
bet5365亚洲版 medical experts are counseling patience but also vigilance in the face of reports of a new COVID variant emerging from South Africa.
Dubbed “omicron” and identified as a “variant of concern” by the World Health Organization, the variant has caused the United States and other nations to suspend travel from multiple African nations, even as medical authorities there insist that omicron, 而不同寻常的传播, 症状轻微.
“I would like to stress that very little is known at this time beyond the fact that omicron is a new variant with a significant number of genetic changes compared to delta, 世界范围内最主要的变异是什么,迈克尔·贝尔山说, 博士学位, professor of medical microbiology and immunology at the bet5365亚洲版 医学院的. “我建议耐心. 目前一切都只是推测.”
Belshan leads Creighton’s work monitoring COVID-19 variants circulating in Nebraska. Conducted under an ongoing contract with the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, the project enables the state to conduct extensive surveillance of COVID to detect new variants within days of their appearance.
莫林·蒂尔尼，医学博士，理学硕士., FIDSA, assistant dean of public health at the Creighton 医学院的 and chair of the Department of Clinical 研究, urged COVID vigilance while medical authorities at Creighton and around the world gather data on the omicron variant.
“尽管bet5365官网都认为还有很多事情不知道, what we are recommending is vaccination of the unvaccinated, 加强注射, 和非药物干预, 比如伪装和社交距离,”Tierney说. “If this turns out to be a more transmissible and/or a more virulent strain, 那bet5365官网就准备得更充分了. These steps will also help reduce the rising number of cases of delta.”
蒂尔尼和瑞努加·维韦卡南丹, MD, associate professor of medicine at Creighton and chief of infectious diseases at CHI Health bet5365亚洲版 Medical Center-Bergan Mercy, said a new COVID strain is not the only viral challenge facing Americans this winter. 另一个关键因素是流感.
“你.S. 中心 for Disease Control put out a Health Alert Network last week describing clusters of cases of influenza, especially among younger adults and on college campuses”, 田世福说.
“许多州, 包括内布拉斯加州, 检测到流感活动, predominantly H3N2 which is usually more virulent and is associated with an increased rate of concomitant bacterial pneumonia.”
The CDC health alert noted that the flu strain was included in this year’s vaccine but that it is already beginning to mutate. Tierney and Vivekanandan call for a renewed commitment to battling respiratory viral infections. 他们提出以下建议:
- Encourage friends, relatives and colleagues to get vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Encourage everyone over 6 months old to get a flu shot.
- Emphasize the importance of COVID-19 加强注射 for all those six months past their second mRNA (Pfizer and Moderna) shot and two months after a Johnson & 约翰逊拍摄.
- Mask when indoors and in crowded outdoor spaces in areas of high or sustained community transmission (almost all of Nebraska, 包括道格拉斯郡).
- Remind everyone that masking and social distancing also help reduce flu transmission.
- If sick with respiratory symptoms, get tested for flu and COVID and stay home.
- Ask your doctor if you should be treated for the flu and/or bacterial pneumonia while awaiting test results.
- 如果COVID-19检测呈阳性, ask your health care provider if you are someone who should receive monoclonal antibodies.